The Symposium consisted of a plenary lecture, technical sessions with invited and contributed presentations, a poster session including a student poster competition and an equipment exhibit for vendors to display surface analytical, vacuum, microscopy, thin film and microelectronic equipment.
Several NSTC and AMPAC researchers were recognized for their outstanding poster presentations in five categories.
Computational and experimental materials science
- Second place: Anh Ly, Advisor: Sudipta Seal
"Probing the cells-nanoparticles interaction using force-distance (F-D) spectroscopy"
- Honorable mention: Héctor J. Rivera-Jacquez, Advisor: Artëm Masunov
"Design of two-photon excited phosphorescent sensor for oxygen imaging"
Materials processing and characterization
- Third place: Megan Berroth, Advisor: Swadeshmukul Santra
"Synthesis and study of core shell zinc silica nanoparticles"
- Honorable mention: Ankur Gupta, Advisor: Sudipta Seal
"Tailoring antioxidant activity by tuning the surface chemistry of cerium oxide nanoparticles"
- First place: Zenan Yu, Advisor: Jayan Thomas
"Large-area, flexible nanostructured electrodes for enhanced supercapacitor performance"
- Second place: Matthew McInnis, Advisor: Lei Zhai
"Functional graphene aerogels"
- Honorable Mention: Le Zhou, Advisor: Yongho Sohn
“Martensitic Transformation and Diffusion Behavior in Nickel Manganese Gallium Alloys”
- First place: Rameech McCormack, Advisor: Sudipta Seal
"Ceria's oxidation state dependent phosphate ion interaction and its biological implication"
- Second place: Manuel Giraldo, Advisor: Sudipta Seal
"Photoelectrochemical analysis of nanostructured titanium oxide conjugated to organic molecules for hydrogen evolution"
- Third place: Qing Wang, Advisor: Masahiro Ishigami
"Functionalization of single-layer molybdenum disulfide with peptides"
- Honorable mention: Julian Ortiz, Advisor: Sudipta Seal
"Study of active sites on individual redox active nanoparticles"
- Honorable mention: Rikhay Shah, Advisor: Swadeshmukul Santra
"Detection of copper contamination in drinking water using ligand coated CdS:Mn/ZnS quantum dots"