The 2013 American Chemical Society Orlando Section National Chemistry Olympiad Competition was held at UCF's NanoScience Technology Center. Dr. Nahid Mohajeri from the Florida Solar Energy Center organized the competition with help from Dr. Lei Zhai and his research group.
The Chemistry Olympiad has been sponsored by ACS since 1984. This multi-tiered competition starts at the local level with the Local Section Competition, which is followed by the National Examination, Study Camp, and ultimately the International Chemistry Olympiad. The Orlando section has been proudly participating in this activity for several years.
This year, a total of 56 students participated in the Orlando Section. Among them, 8 very talented students from five high schools were selected for the National Examination round. We would like to congratulate these students on their accomplishments and wish them future success. We would also like to thank and acknowledge their dedicated and hardworking teachers, responsible for not only teaching chemistry but to also plant the seed of curiosity and knowledge in students’ hearts.
2013 ACS-Orlando Section National Chemistry Olympiad Nominees
- Andrew Lim, West Shore High School (Teacher: Mrs. Delilah Narvaez)
- Susanna Plyer, West Shore High School (Teacher: Mrs. Delilah Narvaez)
- Nathan Lively, Cocoa Beach High School (Teacher: Dr. Scott McCord)
- Brian Nelson, Cocoa Beach High School (Teacher: Dr. Scott McCord)
- Alex Chen, Seminole High School (Teacher: Ms. Susan Brennan)
- Saurabh Sudesh, Seminole High School (Teacher: Ms. Susan Brennan)
- Tom Carpino, Paul J. Hagerty High School (Teacher: Ms. Romina Jannotti
- Hubert Zhao, University High School (Teacher: Ms. Evelyn Malave