Jayan Thomas, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, NanoScience Technology Center, CREOL and College of Engineering
12424 Research Parkway Suite 480
Orlando, FL 32826-3250
Link: Nano Energy-Photonics Group
- Postdoctoral fellowship: International School of Photonics, India
- Ph. D: Cochin University of Science and Technology, India
- M.S/B.S: Mahatma Gandhi University, India
- Research Scientist, College of Optical Sciences, The University of Arizona 2001-2005.
- Assistant/Associate Research Professor, College of Optical Sciences, The University of Arizona 2005-2011
- College of Engineering
Research in my labs is focused on developing nanoarchitectured energy conversion and storage devices. Recently, we have developed a nanoarchitecturing technique using which polymer nanostructures can be printed efficiently at low cost. This technique is utilized to develop nanostructured polymer solar cells, nanoarchitectured electrodes for Li-ion batteries and supercapacitors, and printed biomolecule based photonic devices. Our nanoimprinting technique offers a simple route to fabricate large area nanostructures in a very short time.
Another line of work is the development of photorefractive polymers with improved sensitivity. Photorefractive composites derived from conducting polymers offer the advantage of dynamically recorded holograms without the need of processing of any kind. Thus, they are the material of choice for many cutting edge applications, such as updatable three-dimensional (3D) displays and 3D telepresence. Further improvements in the polymer composites could bring applications in telemedicine, advertising, updatable 3D maps and entertainment. We are also working on the development of new photorefractive polymers sensitive at IR wavelengths.
We are also studying the optical limiting properties of core-shell plasmonic nanostructures.
Awards, Honors and Societies
- NSF CAREER award (2014)
- Excellence in Research Award, University of Central Florida 2014
- VEECO award for the best nanotechnology innovations 2010
- Member, AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
- Member, SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering
- Member, OSA (Optical Society of America)
- Member, MRS (Material Research Society)
- Z. Yu, L. Tetard, L. Zhai, J. Thomas, “Supercapacitor electrode materials: Nanostructures from 0 to 3 dimensions” (accepted for publication) Energy Environ. Sci. (2014).
- Z. Yu, M. McInnis, J. Calderon, S. Seal, L. Zhai, J. Thomas, “Functionalized graphene aerogel composites for high-performance asymmetric supercapacitors” (accepted for publication) Nano Energy (2014).
- L. Zhai, S. I. Khondaker, J. Thomas, C. Shen, M. McInnis,” Ordered Conjugated Polymer Nano- and Microstructures: Structure Control for Improved Performance of Organic Electronics” (accepted for publication) Nano Today (2014).
- P. Chantharasupawong, L. Tetard, J. Thomas, Coupling Enhancement and Giant Rabi-Splitting in Large Arrays of Tunable Plexcitonic Substrates, J. Phys. Chem. C, 118, 23954 (2014).
- Z. Yu and J. Thomas, “Coaxial supercapacitor-electrical cables: Integrating energy storage device into electrical cables,” Adv. Mater. (Cover story) 26, 4279 (2014); Nature News and Views
Media coverage: Reuters, Yahoo News, USA Today, Huffington Post, Popular Science, Motherboard, IEEE Spectrum, Science et Vie (France) and Science Daily.
- P. Chantharasupawong, C. W.Christenson, R. Philip, L. Tetard, L. Zhai, J. Winiarz, M. Yamamoto , R. R. Nair, J. Thomas, “Photorefractive performances of a graphene-doped PATPD/7-DCST/ECZ composite,” J. Mater. Chem. C, DOI: 10.1039/C4TC00782D (2014).
- Z. Yu, C. Li, D. Abbitt, J. Thomas, “Flexible, sandwich-like Ag-nanowire/PEDOT: PSS nanopillar / MnO2 high performance supercapacitors,” J. Mater. Chem. A (cover story), 2, 10923 (2014).
- B. Duong, H. Khurshid, P. Gangopadhyay, J. Devkota, K. Stojak, H. Srikanth, L. Tetard, R. A. Norwood, N. Peyghambarian, M-H. Phan, J. Thomas, “Enhanced Magnetism in Highly Ordered Magnetite Nanoparticle-filled Nanohole Arrays“ Small ( Cover story) DOI: smll.201303809 (2014).
- B. Duong, Z. Yu, P. Gangopadhyay, S. Seraphin, N. Peyghambarian, J. Thomas, “High throughput printing of nanostructured carbon electrodes for supercapacitors,” Adv. Mater. Interfaces, 1, 1300014 (2014).
- B. Duong, P. Gangopadhyay, J. Brent, S. Seraphin, R. Loutfy, N. Peyghambarian, J. Thomas, Printed sub-100nm polymer-derived ceramic structures ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 5, 3894 (2013).
- Z. Yu, B. Duong, D. Abbitt and J. Thomas, “Highly Ordered MnO2 Nanopillars for Enhanced Supercapacitor Performance” Adv. Mater. (frontispiece) 25, 3302 (2013). Highlighted in IEEE Spectrum.
- P. Chantharasupawong, R. Philip, J. Thomas, “Simultaneous optical and photoacoustic measurement of nonlinear absorption,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 102, 041116 (2013).
- R. Philip, P. Chantharasupawong, H. Qian, R. Jin, J. Thomas, “Evolution of Nonlinear Optical Properties: From Gold Atomic Clusters to Plasmonic Nanocrystals,” Nano Lett., 12, 4661−4667 (2012). Media Coverage: Popular Mechanics, SPIE Newsroom, American Institute of Physics TV, Orlando Sentinel, IEEE Spectrum, Science Daily, Optics.org and Physics.org.
- P. Chantharasupawong, R. Philip, T. N. Narayanan, P. M. Ajayan, J. Thomas “Optical power limiting in fluorinated graphene oxide: An insight into the nonlinear optical properties,” J. Phys. Chem. C, 116, 25955 (2012).
- B. Duong, P. Gangopadhyay, S. Seraphin, J. Thomas “Multiwall carbon nanotubes grown by thermocatalytic carbonization of polyacrylonitrile,” Carbon 50, 4750 (2012).
- P. Chantharasupawong, R. Philip, T. Endo and J. Thomas, “Enhanced optical limiting in nanosized mixed zinc ferrites,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 221108 (2012).
- J. Thomas, P. Gangopadhyay, E. Araci, R. A. Norwood., N. Peyghambarian, “Nanoimprint by Melt Processing: An Easy Technique to print versatile nanostructures,” Adv. Mater. 23, 4782 (2011), Highlighted on MaterialsViews.com
- P.-A. Blanche, A. Bablumian, R. Voorakaranam, A. Ordyan, C. Christenson, D. Lemieux, W. Lin, S. Rokutanda, T. Gu, D. Flores, P. Wang, J. Thomas, R. A. Norwood, M. Yamamoto and N. Peyghambarian, " Holographic 3D Telepresence Using Large Area Photorefractive Polymer " (Cover story), Nature 468, 80 (2010).