Debashis Chanda, Ph.D.
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Ph.D: University of Toronto
- Assistant Professor, University of Central Florida
- Post Doctoral Research Associate Beckman Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009-2012
- Senior Engineer, Philips Semiconductors
- Research Engineer, ABB R&D
Thin-film solar cells, study of light-matter interactions in artificially structured metal/dielectric structures (metamaterials, plasmonic nanostructures), transformation optics for display/camouflage, printed optics/opto-electronics components, strong coupling between photonic and plasmonic resonances, biological/chemical sensors.
Research in my lab will focus on confining coherent/partially-coherent or incoherent light at nanoscale to enhance light-matter interactions for novel device applications as well as energy harvesting purposes. The emphasis will be design and development of high throughput, large scale and low cost fabrication of optical nanostructures for enhanced light-matter interactions in artificially structured metal/dielectric structures (metamaterials, plasmonic nanostructures), transformation optics for display/camouflage, strong coupling between photonic and plasmonic resonances and trapping light in thin film solar cells.
Awards and Honors
|2012||DOE Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC) Solar Energy Future Direction Innovation Proposal Award|
|2011||Natural Science and Engineering Council (NSERC) of Canada post-doctoral Award|
|2008-09||Government of Ontario Graduate Scholarship|
|2007||Conference on Laser Ablation Award|
|2007||Ontario Science and Technology Award|
|2007||Ontario Centre of Excellence (OCE) Award|
|2004-06||Edward S. Rogers Sr. Scholarship|
|2002-04||Alberta Graduate Scholarship|
D. Chanda, K. Shigeta, S. Gupta, T. Cain, A. Mihi, A. J. Baca, G. R. Bogart, P. V. Braun, J. A. Rogers, “Large-Area, Flexible 3-Dimensional Negative Index Metamaterials Formed by Nanotransfer Printing”, Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 6, 402-407, July 2011.
- Selected for cover image Nature Nanotechnology, July 2011 edition.
- Appeared as featured article of Nature Nanotechnology, June-July 2011.
- News and Views: A stamp of quality by Dr. Richard D. Averitt, was written in Nature Nanotechnology, June-July 2011.
D. Chanda, K. Shigeta, T. Troung, M. Schulmerich, E. Lui, A. Mihi, P. V. Braun, R. Bhargave, John A. Rogers, “Coupling of plasmonic and optical cavity modes in quasi-three-dimensional plasmonic crystals”, Nature Communications, Vol. 2, pp. 479, Sept 2011.
D. Chanda, L. Gao, K. Shigeta, J. A. Rogers, “Subtractive Printing based Large Area, Three-dimensional Visible and Telecom band Negative Index Metamaterials”, Nature Materials (In Preparation).
D. Chanda, K. J. Yun, L. Gao, J. A. Rogers, “Light Trapping in Thin-film Flexible, Bendable Crystalline Silicon Cells”, PNAS (In Preparation).
J. Cheol Shin, D. Chanda, W. Chern, K. J. Yu, J. A. Rogers, X. Li, “Experimental Study of Design Parameters in Silicon Micropillar Array Solar Cells Produced by Soft Lithography and Metal Assisted Chemical Etching”, IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, DOI: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2011.2180894, (2011).
D. J. Shir Yoon, D. Chanda, J.-H. Ryu and J.A. Rogers, “Performance of Ultrathin Silicon Solar Microcells with Nanostructures of Relief Formed by Soft Imprint Lithography for Broad Band Absorption Enhancement,” Nano Letters 10, 3041–3046 (2010).
D. Chanda, N. Zacharia, M. Haque, M. L. Ng, P. R. Herman, “Flexible fabrication of three-dimensional optical-domain photonic crystals using a combination of single-laser-exposure diffractive-optics lithography and template inversion”, Optics Letters, Vol. 34, pp. 3920-3922, Dec 2009.
D. Chanda, L. E. Abolghasemi, M. Haque, M. L. Ng, P. R. Herman, “Multi-level Diffractive Optics for Single Laser Exposure Fabrication of Telecom-Band Diamond-like 3-Dimensional Photonic Crystals”, Optics Express, Vol. 16, Issue 20, pp. 15402-15414, Sept 2008.
D. Chanda, L. Abolghasemi, P. R. Herman, “Single Laser Exposure Fabrication of Diamond-Like 3-Dimensional Photonic Crystal Microstructures using Circularly Polarized Light”, Applied Physics A 93, 33-37 (2008).
D. Chanda, P. R. Herman, “Phase tunable multilevel diffractive optical element based single laser exposure fabrication of three-dimensional photonic crystal templates”, Applied Physics Letters 91, 061122, Aug 2007.
D. Chanda, L. Abolghasemi, P. R. Herman, “One-dimensional diffractive optical element based fabrication and spectral characterization of three-dimensional photonic crystal templates”, Optics Express, Vol. 14, Issue 19, pp. 8568-8577, Sept 2006.
D. Chanda, A. Sesay, “Wireless signal-preamble assisted Mach-Zehnder modulator bias stabilization in wireless signal transmission over optical fibre”, Journal of European Transactions of Telecommunications, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp.669-679, October 2008.
- Printed 3D Metamaterials, Selected as “What is Hot in Optics” by Optical Society of America (OSA) in Frontier of Optics/Laser Science Conference, San Jose, CA, October 2011.
- A Practical Way to Make Invisibility Cloaks, MIT Technology Review (on-line), June 2011.
- Large-area printed 3D negative-index metamaterial is flexible, Featured Article Laser Focus World, vol 47, Issue 8, Aug 2011.
- Printed Metamaterial work selected for Cover Image of Laser Focus World, Vol 47, Issue 8, Aug 2011.
- Research team develops method to produce large sheets of metamaterials, Physics Today, June 2011.
- Nanotransfer makes large-area NIMs, Nanotechweb, June 2011.
- Research team develops method to produce large sheets of metamaterials, Physics.org, June 2011.
- Practical Invisibility Cloaks, MIT Technology Review (print edition), Sep-Oct 2011.
- Large Area Nanomanufacturing of Negative Index of Refraction Metamaterials, National Nanomanufacturing Network, Aug 2011.
Looking for post-doctoral fellows and graduate students. Contact Debashis.Chanda@ucf.edu with your CV.